Frequently Asked Questions

Please find below the answers to some frequently asked questions.

How does it work?

If you damage your vehicle whilst renting a car, the rental company typically charges you up to your excess for the damage caused, and takes it directly from your credit card that you will have provided at the time of rental. A policy with Cover4Rentals will reimburse that amount to you up to the cost of [#]5000 with our silver policy or even [#]50,000 with our gold package.

Can I get covered after I've picked up my rental car?

It's important that you have your insurance policy with us before you collect your rental car because it's the only way that we can be sure that you didn't damage the car and then decide to buy insurance to cover the cost.

Which countries am I covered in?

A European policy with us covers you in all EU, EEA countries (excluding Iceland), Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
For all other countries, you will need to purchase Worldwide cover. This includes the Faroe Islands and Turkey.
We will not cover trips in, to or through:

  • Armenia, Dominican Republic, Iceland, Israel or Jamaica.

Please also refer to the general policy conditions and exclusions applying to all sections.

Which vehicles are not covered?

The rental vehicle cannot be a motor home, trailer, caravan, van, truck, non-passenger carrying vehicle, vehicle that carries more than 9 people including the driver, motorcycle, moped, motorbike, off-road* or recreational vehicle.
The vehicle must not have a retail price of more than [#]50,000 (or currency equivalent) and be no more than 10 years old.
* 4x4 vehicles are not excluded if they are being driven on public highways, put they must not go off-road.

I'm down as an additional driver on the rental agreement, can I take the policy out?

The Lead Driver on the rental agreement needs to be the Policyholder, so the Cover4Rental policy will not be valid if you are an additional driver, you must be the Lead Driver.

Can I cover other drivers under my policy?

As the policyholder, you are covered for car rental agreements taken out in your name with you as the Lead Driver on the car rental agreement. The Cover4Rentals policy extends to anyone who is down as an additional driver on the rental agreement - as long as they're aged between 26 and 84 and the rental agreement is in your name.

How many trips am I covered for under an annual policy?

We provide policies with a maximum rental duration of 60 days. You can have unlimited car rental agreements as long as the duration of your rental does not exceed that stated on your certificate of insurance, and your total claims remain within the policy claim limits.

What if I need to make changes to my policy or cancel it shortly after purchasing?

Yes, that's fine, we do not charge adjustment fees, just fill out our contact form and our agents will confirm your options.

Single Trip Policies of up to and including 30 days duration

Policies up to and including 30 days duration do not have statutory cancellation rights but you can request cancellation through our contact us form.

Single Trip Policies of over 30 days duration and Annual Policies

You are entitled to cancel this policy at any time. Head to our contact us form to do this now.

If you do so either before or within 14 days of the start of your Period of Insurance, you will receive a full refund of the premium paid.

If you cancel after more than 14 days, we will refund you the pro-rated amount of your remaining premium cost.

Do keep in mind that we charge cancellation fees, within and outside the cooling off period, please refer to the Terms of Business documents for the full details.

I'm an annual policyholder - what happens if I want to renew?

All our annual policies are set to automatically renew, so you'll never have to worry about not being covered year-on-year. You can request auto renewal to be removed at any time in the policy year by contacting us using our contact form.

Regardless of whether your policy will or won't automatically renew, we'll get in touch before its renewal date to remind you of what will happen with your policy.

How do I make a claim?

Our claims are handled by are partners at ClaimEz. All you need to do is fill out their online claim form within 31 days of you being charged by the rental company. For more information on what you need to do should you have to claim, head to our claims page.

What happens if the rental company does not accept your cover?

Your rental company does not need to accept your cover. You simply decline their excess waiver, which means if you damage the rental vehicle, they will charge you an excess, which you will then claim back from us.

What is the difference between Silver and Gold cover?

The main difference between Silver cover and Gold, is you need to take out Gold cover if you are renting your vehicle in your country you live in, or if you need your excess increased to [#]50,000 which might be the case in countries such as the US and Canada. Our Gold cover is also a more comprehensive policy and increases your cover to include misfuelling and being locked out of your vehicle – below is the full list.

Silver Cover
Gold Cover
Excess Reimbursement
Rentals in home country
Tyre Damage
([#]500 limit)
([#]1,000 limit)
Glass Damage
([#]500 limit)
([#]1,000 limit)
Key Cover
([#]500 limit)
([#]500 limit + [#]100 lock out cover)
([#]500 limit)
Road Rage & Carjacking
([#]1,000 limit)
Personal Possessions
([#]500 limit)
What is Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)?

Collision Damage Waiver is usually but not always included in European car rental agreements. It literally means if you damage your rental vehicle, the car rental company will waive (not charge you) for the cost of the damage up to your excess amount. So, for instance if you damage your vehicle and the cost of repair is [#]5,000, and your excess is [#]2,000, you will be charged [#]2,000, so in theory the remaining [#]3,000 is not charged (Waived or CDW).

How can I contact you?

The easiest and quickest way to contact us is through our contact us form. All you need to do is fill it out and one of our lovely customer service representatives will be able to assist with your query. You can find the form here.